Monday 22 September 2014

Surviving on an Island : Can you?


Tom Hanks in Cast Away

Ola!

Hi Readers, it's been a while since I last wrote a blog post but I'm back and with a post that would surely intrigue you.

Recently I watched a movie called "cast away", starring Tom Hanks. The movie revolves around an FedEx employee (played by Tom Hanks), who meets with an aeroplane accident and is the only SURVIVOR. He gets stuck on an isolated island - no food, no person to talk to, what followed next was a tail full of unpredictability. At the end of the movie though, he does survive and returns to being "alive" after 4 years, only to know that all this while his family had even had a funeral for him and had come into terms with the fact that he was no more alive.

Sometime during the movie I questioned myself - what if I were in his place! Could I survive on an island alone, without my family, no food, no tv i.e. no source of entertainment at all, far far away from the commercial world, do I have it in me to CREATE a world around me?

Before writing this article, I did my research. I read through a couple of stories from real life survivors and they say that the worst fear they had being stuck on an island was - will they EVER see their family again? On one hand, this troubled them - made them desperate and on the contrary, it was the only feeling that drove them to stay alive and keep fighting through the obstacles to meet their family ONE FINE DAY.

Midst this surviving stories, was one very special one indeed from one of the real life survivors who claimed that he in fact started talking to basically anything that didn't even breathe, just for the sake of having someone or something to talk to. We human beings are a complicated specie and there are no second thoughts about that. :p Having said that, if we are forced to live away from this commercial world ALONE - surviving wouldn't be easy but do we have it in us, do any of you readers have what it takes to survive on an island alone?

Hrithik and Amisha sure did seem to enjoy being stranded on an island

If not alone, do you think you could survive on an island with a family member or a friend maybe! Sure it wouldn't be as pleasant as shown in Kaho Naa Pyar Hai - neither will it be as enjoyable as depicted in the movie and nor will the finders come as soon as Anupam Kher. :p

What are your thoughts on this? Living without food, eating raw fish/coconuts (if available) or "making" fire from bamboo sticks or by rubbing 2 stones - sure does sound fascinating, drinking sea water and so on..

Wont life be barely livable or will it actually be enjoyable! Go on, express your thoughts. 
Aditya Jha Author

Aditya Jha is 20 years old and has had a passion for writing since a young age. He has had the great honor of being published in the book "blank space", which featured his fictional short story "a writer's tale". He has also published 2 ebooks - Best.Generation.Ever. and An Iron Lady (Autobiography on his grandmother's life). He has great passion for speaking and is a Delhi University Debator - having won various laurels for his speaking.

1 comment:

  1. I love sleeping.
    So probably, I'll spend most of the day having a peaceful sleep :P
    For the remaining time there, I might try not to go nuts and explore more :)

    ReplyDelete