Saturday 27 December 2014

Telling and facing the truth is crux of life



"Honesty is the best policy" we sure do hear it so many times but its the implementation of this in our lives which is really hard. The lies are the easy way to get out of a situation but that's a temporary solution to any problem because as it is said "you have to tell 100 more lies to hide 1 lie". Through this post I will tell you about one such story where honesty was the brave and the right thing to do.

As it is often said "children's have a pure heart, they never lie". This story is of the 1970's when my father was just 6 years old and his elder brother was 8 years old. They have a cousin sister who had gotten married and it had been just 3 years of her marriage and it came to be known that her husband is diagnosed with cancer.

My father tells me that he and his brother were very close to their sister's husband and knowing that he is battling cancer they didn't know how to face him when they went to see him at the hospital.

Finally when they got to meet their sister's husband - who they had always seen smiling, they couldn't help but feel pain for him because they (my father and his older brother) had been told that their sister's husband legs would have to be cut to save his life and this made them very emotional.

The husband of my aunt saw my father very sad and emotional and asked him "what happened, why are you sad"? My father replied with the truth "we've been told that your legs will be cut, now how will you come to meet us" and what their sister's husband said next changed my father's perception towards life, he said "so what if my legs would be cut"! "Do you see those 2 sticks by the wall! I'll walk by the help of those 2 sticks"...

It was this honesty which moved my father, even at the age of 6 and he in fact still recounts this image.

This very incident taught my father to value the "truth" and that one should not hide it but in fact face it with a smile - truth can be hard to digest at times but if you have the will power to accept the truth, then there's nothing stopping you.

This incident highlights that truth must never be ignored and you should not walk away from the truth. Since this incident, my father has never been reluctant to speak and accept the truth - that's how life works, you cannot turn your back to the truth - truth always prevails and when we accept this, we accept the crux of life.

I hope this story serves as a motivation to my readers as this is a true story where telling the truth was hard but it's a story that made a solid impact on my father's personality and taught him to value and tell the truth. 
Aditya Jha Author

Aditya Jha is 20 years old and has had a passion for writing since a young age. He has had the great honor of being published in the book "blank space", which featured his fictional short story "a writer's tale". He has also published 2 ebooks - Best.Generation.Ever. and An Iron Lady (Autobiography on his grandmother's life). He has great passion for speaking and is a Delhi University Debator - having won various laurels for his speaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment