Thursday 22 January 2015

A lesson learnt : The Great Indian Litterbug


"Humka pehchane nahin, hum PK hoon" - the ever so famous dialogue from Aamir Khan in PK caught my attention for 2 reason - 1) Saying it with a paan in his mouth and 2) the irritability of seeing him chew a paan which reminds one of a few minutes later when if he were a real character, he would have spit the colourful red from the paan to a white wall nearby.

Of course though Aamir Khan was only playing a role but some people just don't give up their habits.

Few days ago I saw this man eating "gutka and supari" and chewing paan, it felt as if I should tell him that it's not good for your health but I didn't know him and after all, we were at a metro station waiting for the metro to come.

Suddenly though, without looking left or right, he just threw the paan on the metro station and started walking - "chewing his gutka and supari". I rushed towards him and asked "bhaisahab, kidhar"! And I said with the tone of Amitabh in Zanjeer "ye metro station hai, aapke daddy ka ghar nahin". Further adding "jab tak dustbin na mile, yehaan thukaa naa jaaye"..

The man looked at me in complete shock and said nothing and started walking as if I were an alien like Aamir and talked in some other language. Ah.. rude to say the least.

I rushed towards him again and this time I said "dekhiye ye metro station hai" and he suddenly replied "petaa hai bhai, pichaa choro humaara"... And I lost it..

I went on about 5 minutes lecturing him on why not to throw paan in open but he wouldn't listen. In fact, after 5 minutes he continued walking as if nothing had happened and sadly for me, he sat on the very next seat of where I was sitting in the metro.

I said nothing to him and  my destination came and AGAIN - he too had to get out on my station. Jeez, my temper was boiling at that point.

As we were coming out of the metro station, the first thing the man did was throw his paan on a clean white wall and then open a pack of "supaari" and eat it.

And so the temptation to teach him a lesson struck me and I took a photo of his. I showed him his photo and threatened him that I will show this to the metro authorities who will deal with you in the right way. I told him "you had thrown paan inside the metro station first and now on the wall of metro station".

He started saying sorry to me but I didn't budge. I told him "give me your paans, supaaris, gutka" and GO!

After 15 minutes of arguing and saying sorry, he agreed and gave me the paans and the supaaris, which I threw in the dustbin and that's my story of conquering over The Great Indian Litterbug.

Aditya Jha Author

Aditya Jha is 20 years old and has had a passion for writing since a young age. He has had the great honor of being published in the book "blank space", which featured his fictional short story "a writer's tale". He has also published 2 ebooks - Best.Generation.Ever. and An Iron Lady (Autobiography on his grandmother's life). He has great passion for speaking and is a Delhi University Debator - having won various laurels for his speaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment